The Dwight T. Keith Award is given to recognize and to honor a person who has made an outstanding contribution to high school interscholastic athletics and/or the high school coaching profession. This award was created expressly to honor persons in a non-coaching role. The recipient may be an active coach, but the work for which he or she is being honored must be of a non-coaching nature.
Dwight Keith was a founding member and guiding light of the National High School Athletic Coaches Association through its early years and served as its Executive Secretary from 1965 to 1973.
Past Connecticut recipients of this award are:
• 1978, Tom Monahan, Bristol
• 1982, Joseph J. Fontana, Southington
• 1986, Larry D. McHugh, Middletown
• 1996, John Fontana, Southington
• 2000, Nick Zeoli, Wilton
• 2008, Gary Makowicki, Norwich Free Academy
• 2011, Doug Sharples, St. Bernard